Cannot connect anymore....

Hey I've been using Smart FTP for months now. TOday I cannot connect to my FTP address and it says "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Anyway it can be fixed??? I'd appreciate all the help thanx

It's server issue. To check if it's true connect to another ftp site.

I am afraid it is not a server issue. My computer has been saying the same thing for a month, but the FTP on my family computer and other computers work perfectly. I also notified my host (flockhosting) and they assured me there was no problem....

I would love to know if there is anything I could do!!!

-emily

I would love to know if there is anything I could do!!!

-emily

Hello ...

Its verly likely a firewall or antivirus software interferting with SmartFTP and the underlying winsock stack. What you can do is update these applications or temporary disable them.

There are known bugs with applications from McAfee and older versions of Zonealarm et all.

Why this talk about software firewalls being the issue? I have used Norton Personal Firewall on my server for years with no problem. Today I bought a Dlink DI-624 Router/Firewall and my SmartFTP client stoped dead in its tracks with the information:

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Both server and client is on the local network and firewall rules are set up correctly.

After some fiddling around I tried the built in FTP in XP's CMD and it worked great. I then tried WS_FTP and that also worked perfectly.

To bad I really liked the interface in SmartFTP, but the code seems to be lacking when it comes to handling firewalls.

The problem is with a buggy router software, a buggy firewall software etc.

There are no known problems with SmartFTP and firewalls.

You put the finger on it mb... no known problems. But what I can not understand is why SmartFTP is the only FTP client I have found that produces an error in this configuration.

As soon as I installed the SFTPDev.exe from your signature SmartFTP could connect to both local and external FTP servers just like any other client software. No alterations where made to the network or router.

You say its a firewall/router software issue, yet SmartFTP is thus far to my knowledge the only client affected by these bugs. And since you aren't aware of any bugs in SmartFTP I am a bit confused as to how just updating my SmartFTP client from the release build to the dev build could solve the problem.

I guess I'll need to hold on to this dev build since the solution is unknown to you and thus could reapear in future release builds.

We always assume that you are using at least the newest official build.
Therefore we always refer to the latest official build or latest developer build.

There should be no difference between the official build and the current problem regarding your problem though.

-Mat

i have the same problem as this..
is it our computers or something..
how do we fix it because it isnt the servers so it has to be our computers