Version 980 doesn't keep document date/time stamp

Sorry if this is a basic thing, but I am a new user to FTP clients.

I find that when I upload files to an FTP site that the file date/time stamp reflects the date and time of the copy operation, and not that of the last time I saved the file.

I've checked with our network guys and they say it is a setting in the FTP client. If that is correct, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Most FTP servers dont allow to set the file date/time of the remote file.

Regards,

Mat,

The server we use is Serv-U, which does support the MDTM command.

Alternatively, how would I go about creating a custom command in SmartFTP to handle this?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

The MDTM serv-u/ftp voyager uses is an extension to the MDTM command. The MDTM command in the RFC (Draft) is only good to retrieve the filetime. Therefor rhinsoft is using a proprietry MDTM command only their software is supporting.

The FTP protocol is not a good implementation for synchronization. Use a modern protocol instead. e.g. SFTP

With all due respect, I found 2 other programs that can post to Serv-U correctly.

I am not a programmer, I am a user. I don't care if what RhinoSoft does is proprietary or not - it works. And because it works, it maintains the integrity of the timestamp for critical documents anfd files.

I would prefer to use Smart-FTP because I am familiar with it, but I have no undying allegiance. If you have no plan to support the MDTM command - in any flavor - I have no alternative but to ask my company to switch to another FTP client.

Is there any way to implement the MDTM command in Smart FTP?

Thanks,
Rick

How can I keep also the filemtime when downloading?
Under the Settings menue Transfer - File I checked the 3 boxes, but it doesn't work :evil:
Thanks,
Mark.