ftp folder

I notice than in my user area where I log in there are two folders, one which is named ftp and the other which is my user name, and in which my site is stored.

amongst my site's folders on the server I have another folder called ftp, but when I click on it I am popped back up to the top level ftp folder.

is this somehow the same folder, appearing twice for some good (or bad) reason?

I also notice that when I put /ftp/ after my URL, this folders contents are listed on the net.

It contains:

banner.msg
bin/
incoming/ and
public/

questions:

1. is this not a problem? I think not, but publishing with Frontpage, I am asked if I wish to delete it on the remote server. Not that I think I can.

2. I was looking to, if possible, put a public ftp folder on my site so my band members could upload mp3s of their latest work to me. Is that ftp folder the folder I should be using for that purpose? If so, how would I configure it to give them ermissions? If not, how would I configure a folder for that purpose?

If anyone has ready insight into my questions please let me know.

There's probably a (ln-type) link between the two folders - some admins do that.

Yes you can do passworded uploads with FTP but the best way to do it is to setup the FTP server with the appropriate users - ask your admin if he can do it. You can also relatively simply upload (& download) files using php & the Web if your host supports it. This may be better for you. but is obviously off-topic for this forum.

D