Cannot connect

"Resolving host name ftp.smartftp.com...
Connecting to (ftp.smartftp.com) -> IP: 213.144.155.6 PORT: 21
Connected to (ftp.smartftp.com) -> Time = 0ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
Cannot login waiting to retry (60s)...
Continue to login attempt 2...
Connecting to (ftp.smartftp.com) -> IP: 213.144.155.6 PORT: 21
Connected to (ftp.smartftp.com) -> Time = 10ms
Cannot login waiting to retry (60s)..."

and so it goes, with every server... what's the problem here?

Rachel.

is there a firewall either locally on your pc or in your lan?

there's my zonealarm but i allowed the FTP to go thru it, and my proxy.

just to be sure: could you temporarily disable zonealarm and not use a proxy? see if it works then.

If you're win2000, xp or xp pro, one quick check would be to look at:
Control Panel
Network Connections

Take a look at your internet connections - does it say your ISP name, connected/disconnected, FIREWALLED?

Right Click on your connection icon
Click on Properties on the popup
Click the Advanced tab at the top

You can read up on the Internet Connection Firewall & Internet Connection Sharing via the links on that tab to determine if that is the reason you aren't connecting.

Good luck..
Offy

I too am having this problem. I have disabled my ZoneAlarm and have no protection selected from my network settings. Help!

Thanks...

Update your firewall to the last version, a lot of firewalls if you stop sometimes don't works.

I do have the latest version of my firewall software. I tried ftping with it on and off. With Norton on and off. I even uninstalled my ad blocking software! No good. This is very frustrating! :cry:

With everything off, see if you can FTP using the native FTP in Windoze (Run cmd and type FTP at the prompt). If that's succesful, check your SmartFTP settings to ensure that there isn't a proxy set (etc) and try SmartFTP again. If it's not succesful with native FTP then post the error messages.

D

Well, I stopped my firewall & virus protection and tried the Windows ftp. I was able to enter into that mode, and please pardon my ignorance but what do I type? Anything I tried brought the "invalid command" message.

The settings on my Smart ftp has the proxy off.

I also tried ftp via the windows DAV and setting up another network connection (shortcut) to that server. No dice.

Thank you anyway, dbarro...any other suggestions please?

UPDATE:
I had a friend login to the server at her computer...no problem. I logged into one of her ftp sites...no problem! I tried again with mine...no dice! What's going on here?

Just to go back to Rachel's original problem, it looks like she's trying to log into ftp.smartftp.com (for which perhaps she doesn't have an account). (I think this was covered elsewhere.

JHM, could you post a connection log please.

D

Sure:

Resolving host name home.twmi.rr.com...
Connecting to (home.twmi.rr.com) -> IP: 198.78.80.68 PORT: 21
Connected to (home.twmi.rr.com) -> Time = 79ms
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

As I said, a friend of mine connected with no problem! I gave her the very same username and password.

Thanks...

Was having the problem described here, changed the settings, under connection, Port IP MOde, set it to Auto, works now.

Thank you, but that didn't work. I called the hosting co. (Road Runner) in a different state, and they said that I need a Time Warner account to connect to their servers! Earthlink, Road Runner or Time Warner. How uncool is that?