SmartFTP troubles

Not sure if it's a bug most have experienced, however, I've been using SmartFTP for around 2 years now. I was using it on a fairly regular basis, and one day about 3 weeks ago it decided to stop working. I know I hadn't upgraded SmartFTP for about 150 days or so - the splash screen notified me. So I decided to upgrade, at first I had no problems. Eventually, simotanious to my host switching to a new server, I had many problems with connections timing out, etc. Basically I couldn't get a file list or download anything. Occassionally if I spammed the server/smart ftp with a whole bunch of connection windows I might actually be able to connect.

Now at first this seemed weird to me. Here using SmartFTP for two years, and suddenly it decided to stop working *yikes*. So pretty much uninstalled smartftp and decided to probably call it quits. Been using alternatives such as leech / WS_FTP, I tell you they're nothing compared to the power of SmartFTP. Tons more friendly to use, plus I was used to using it.

Come to find out, I was messing around with it today. I tried reinstalling it after uninstalling an reinstalling it 5-6 times a few weeks back. Same problem. BUT I found out it had to do with the Application data, I suppose there were some corrupted files. So this is just a post to warn other users, if you're experiencing some weird problems with smart ftp and know the server's not at fault (maybe use some other ftp program), it may be your: C:Documents and SettingsUser_NameApplication DataSmartFTP, that may contain corrupted files. I am pretty sure since I've not heard of anyone else having this problem when they began using it a month or two ago. But if you're like me and have weird stuff happen after using it forever, just kill the whole smartftp folder in application data, it solved all my problems. And I am once again proud to say I'm a smartftp user.

Glad to hear SmartFTP is alive and kicking for you again, and thank you for sharing your experience with us

By the way, the latest versions of the SmartFTP installer(s), give you the option of installing a utility called the SmartFTP Backup-Tool, which can wipe out the data files and also reset the SmartFTP registry settings to default and tons of other features...

You can read more information on it here.

Thank you for sharing your findings. There seem to be still rare cases where the application just crashes with corrupt .dat files. If you still have your corrupted .dat files and want to share them please send them to bugreport atttttttt smartftp.com and we'll try to write a workaround for such situations.

Thanks a lot

EEk! :oops: It appears that wasn't the problem. Let me quickly describe the details of the problem:

Resolving host name ragnarokhq.com...
Connecting to (ragnarokhq.com) -> IP: 69.44.57.106 PORT: 21
Connected to (ragnarokhq.com) -> Time = 94ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
220-This computer system is for authorized users only. Individuals using this
system without authority or in excess of their authority are subject to
having all their activities on this system monitored and recorded or
examined by any authorized person, including law enforcement, as system
personnel deem appropriate. In the course of monitoring individuals
improperly using the system or in the course of system maintenance, the
activities of authorized users may also be monitored and recorded. Any
material so recorded may be disclosed as appropriate. Anyone using this
system consents to these terms.

220 ProFTPD 1.2.8 Server (ProFTPD) [server786.flashhostings.com]
USER xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
331 Password required for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
PASS (hidden)
230 User xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
AUTH TLS
PBSZ
PROT
211 End
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (69,44,57,106,130,216).
Opening data connection IP: 69,44,57,106,130,216 PORT: 33496.
LIST -aL
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Connection closed. Server timeout.
ABOR
226 Transfer complete.
226 Abort successful

In the bolded text is where the connection gets caught up. When I mean caught up is it goes at like 20 K/sec or whatever speed, then quickly lowers until it reaches 0K/sec. At that point the connection closes.

This happens too often, I've even tried connecting to other ftp servers and I seem to be experiecing problems somewhat relative to file listings. It could be my ISP, or possibly the FTP server software?

If you can't help I understand... Anyways this is the problem I experienced before. I guess it was just luck that I purged the Application Data folder and it began working... Sorry guys >.<

Hello.

This problem has nothing to do with the "Application Data" folder. It's a typical connection problem where the data connection times out after a some time.

The best suggestion I can give you is to set the "Server Timout" in the settings to 30s or lower and to use the "Global Queue" for your transfers.

Regards,
-Mat