CHMOD problem

I have a lot of files that I am trying to chmod to 777, in a large directory tree. My problem is this: I'll go into a directory, chmod everything to 777, leave the directory to chmod to 777 in a different directory. Yet, when I come back to the first directory, I find that my chmod changes have not had any effect; the files are still the default, 644. I am the owner of the files I'm trying to chmod, and no errors have been reported from the server in the little status bar below a the transfer window. Is this just a server problem, or some bug? Thanks for any help.

Thats an admin issue.. after chmod , look at the message in the bottom view pane (where it shows you the status of the present operation) youll most likely see that it said chmod insuccessful or something along those lines... tell your server admin...

And why would anyone want chmod 777 ?? very insecure...
Then again, why would you be 777 down the filder tree?? just do the root folder for that tree... maybe you have the root folder at 755 and tryin to do 777 in a subfolder... suggest you do google for chmod

I'm having same problem.
257 "/forum/style_images" is current directory.
Cached directory reloaded.
SITE CHMOD 755 index.html
200 SITE CHMOD command successful
but, i got back in and it goes back to default.

Most of the windows servers don't allows to use chmod maybe your issue is that.

exactly the same here. Couldn't believe my eyes. I set permissions to 755 several times, came back from another folder and they were back to "600". Refreshing the display did not help.
So I connected to the directory in question via Telnet and the actual permission was 755. I changed to "600" and back to "755" in Telnet without problem, - at the same time, SmartFTP stubbornly displayed "600" (again, I refreshed the display after each Telnet-manipulation).

And, this is not a MS server:
SunOS localhost 5.8 Generic_108528-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-cEngine, Apache/1.3.29 (Unix)

Laurenz

Hi all,
I require to CHMOD a file (not sure what to) but I cannot connect to my CGI server (although the website www.mycgiserver.com says the FTP is OK!) I have uninstalled SOPHOS and other software but I cannot seem to connect. My FTP URL is correct to the one on the site. Also, I quite like using My Network Places in Windows XP but can you please tell me if you can CHMOD in MNP? AND, can anyone tell me a browser-based CGI server where you can CHMOD folders? THANKS!

An excerpt of your connection log may be useful

D

When you change folder or file permission, after reloading current directory you will see 644 permission instead number that you've set. Don't worry, permissions are just like you've set before, but you'll see that after next connection to your host.