newbie question on uploading

I recently downloaded SmartFTP and I created my web page in Corel Wordperfect 8. My ISP instructions told me to make my first page index.html or index.htm. Now when I used Internet Publisher in Corel and created the web page,when I named it index.html it shows up that way in the MY Documents folder,but when I bring it up in SmartFTP it shows up as index.html.wpd (wordperfect document) the woman I spoke with at my ISP said I need to drop the wpd from it and I dont know how to do that since it was created in WordPerfect.
Second question is when I put this file of my web page on the FTP screen I have no idea how to upload it to my ISP. I have read and viewed the text and tutorials and I still can't figure out how to accomplish this.
Does anyone have any suggestions I can follow to either drop the wpd from the index.html? and how to upload my web page to my ISP?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
P.S.
I called my ISP and they said to just rename the file which i did and something about going to the upload page and do it there. I told her I had SmartFTP and she hadnt heard of it. So I will tinker with it more.

who is your ISP?

Use dreamweaver as web editor... no extranges things on html, no extranges extensions.

webmasta: ISP is a local one not like AOL etc.

aokromes: may try that if this doesn't work.

Thanks all for suggestions

first off, you shouldnt be creating true html files in programs like wpd... those are word processors, not html editors... do like aokromes says.. get an editor and learn to use it.

wpd files will only open in wordperfect.. its a proprietory ext. I doubt if that will have the proper html tags etc. required to display the page properly.

however you can try "save as" and use "index.html" >> note the quotes around the filename..

then again you can go into folder options, by opening any folder, click view /folder options / view/ and uncheck "hide file ext for known filetypes"

you wull now see the file as index.html.wpd in my documents.
right-clik on file and choose rename /kick off the .wpd and leve index.html alone/

windoz will fly in ure face with some warnings about changing ext ... choose appropriately and get outa there.

upload ure file...dont be disappointed in what you may see when it finally shows up...