30-day-trial????

I love SmartFTP. I've been using it for over a year now and it works great. And it looks nice.

But after I installed the newest version - I noticed that its not free anymore. Its a 30-day-trial. It want's a registration key - which I don't have. How do I get it? Is it free?

My email:
tpr_firewire@hotmail.com

It's free for personal, educational and no comercial use.

For buy 1 key and priccing go to: https://www.smartftp.com/purchase/

It would have been a nice gesture if a key had been sent to those of us who donated before registration was required, in order to disable the announcement. Perhaps this has been done, but I did not see an e-mail or any information regarding this.

I have been using Smartftp for a couple years now too with no problems. Now, this latest version also connects me to the smartftp website after the update message.

Are there any functional differences between the free version and the registered version other than this message?

TIA
inertiae

inertiae wrote:I have been using Smartftp for a couple years now too with no problems. Now, this latest version also connects me to the smartftp website after the update message.

Are there any functional differences between the free version and the registered version other than this message?

TIA
inertiae

The only difference is the message.

:cry:

I would really like to understand why you choose to transform the beautiful smartftp into a nagware software. Ok, it's now a shareware application, but I do have many questions about it I would like to ask:

1) You let non-commercial users to install and use the program at no cost: why do you make the nagscreen unavoidable? Why should I see this awful nag everytime I run the program? I know I'm using a piece of somebody else's work for free, but YOU choose to let me use it at no cost, I'm not a thief, so why do you remember me the commercial info everytime?!?!?!? I'm not interested in purchasing the software, I'm a private user, and would like to go on this way (since I don't use smartftp for my commercial job).

2) I used smarftp for more than an year now, as a completely freeware application. When prompted, I downloaded and installed the latest version, but NO ONE let me know about the change in distribution policy BEFORE make me download the update. What if I want to continue to use the former version, and so avoid the fantastic nag screen?

3) As a software developer myself, I have some firm and clear thoughts about the meaning of the word "freeware". Smartftp is NOT a true freeware application, because of the unavoidable nag screen. You may think that I'm a useless nuisance, but I don't. Smartftp is now a shareware program with forced self-advertisement, which is possible to use at no cost with reduced usability (I consider the presence of the nag screen an obstacle). There are many nagware programs out on the net, and all are commonly considered as boring pieces.

This way, I'm thinking about changing the ftp program, there are so many TRUE free ftp applications out there, it will be not a problem.

It's a true pity, anyway, because smartfp is a very good piece of software, both from a point of view of features and from a point of view of graphic interface.

Ok, pardon me for this long message, smartftp wouldn't be so important for me if I was used to crack the programs I choose... Apologize also for the possible mistakes in my written english: I'm italian, but try to use english as best as I can.

With my very best regards,

--
Falco Stellare