Help me please!

Hi!

I have a website. Can I put out a download link so it will download directly from my pc and not from, in this case geocities????

Best regards, Christian Hogstad

Yes, but it you will have to set up your PC as a server so that others can access it. You can't just make a link like c:somedirectorysomefile, because it will then refer to the PC of the user browsing your website.

can i still use my computer normally :?:

can someone please reply??

Yes, you can still use your computer, but you take the risk of giving knowledgable others the ability to access files on your computer, that you don't want them accessing.

As well, you have to keep your computer on 24/7, if you want others to be able to access the files that you do want accessed.

This can also compromise your system, depending on how you set it up, and what type of server software you use (Tip: do not use PWS, it's a piece of junk).

Wich server software do you recommend? Can I just place a link when I got the server software, or is it one link to my PC and they have access to the hole pc?

Apache.

There will be only one directory that is accessable to web users (and, of course, its subdirectories). But, regardless of this -- where there's a will, there's a way. If you are going to run your PC as a server, be very careful with what data you store on that same PC. And be wary of what you put on the web. HTML Forms that perform a server-side script are a hacker's haven if they are not properly secured with the right precautions.

Oh, and I'm assuming you have a high-speed internet connection -- otherwise, don't bother even attempting to use your PC as a server.