The installation window hangs

On Windows XP pro, I tried to upgrade to the latest version, and the installation window just hangs.

"Installing Smart FTP Client 2.0"

I tried uninstalling and clearing the registry of everything called "Smart FTP" but it doesn't help.

My XP has 2 users, myself and my wife. Is it possible that something hangs due to that ?

How can I TRULY uninstall everything and start over ?

In addition, if I try again, I get a message telling me that an installation of SmartFTP is already underway. So I have to reboot. This is somewhat annoying naturally.

I have purchased a license and have been using the pgm for years. Love it. This is my first problem with it.

Thanks !

I should point out that I have Norton anti-virus and Security, but have disabled them for this purpose.

Is there a log I can send, which will reveal the blocking issue ?

Hi, try ussing SmartFTP Backup to delete all the traces of SmartFTP on your system, also if the fail is with the MSI setup you can try with NSI setup before trying to delete things.

Hi, try ussing SmartFTP Backup to delete all the traces of SmartFTP on your system, also if the fail is with the MSI setup you can try with NSI setup before trying to delete things.
Thanks - But isn't that part of SmartFTP ?

If I can't install SmartFTP, how can I get just the backup feature ?

May I ask: what is MSI ? What is NSI ?

Many thanks !

Thanks so much.

As soon as I got rid of Norton, everything works fine. It blocked an installation of OpenOffice too.

Perhaps someone could suggest an alternative to Norton. I have always found it buggy, awkward, and in the way of other programs.