ascii transfer

Tutorial on upload in transfer dialog box shows the following line.

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls

When transfering files I open SmartFTP with a local browser attached.
While in Smart FTP I click on ASCII transfer icon which becomes a lighted square.
However as soon as I click on the local browser file to upload my selected file the ASCII transfer icon does not show active.
When transferring the file the '150 Opening ASCII' line does not appear in the transfer bar.
How do I know that the transfer was in ASCII.

Hi bugdal - if you clicked on the ascii mode button it will upload it in ascii mode - you might see a line that says eg 150 Accepted data connection
1413 bytes received successfully
Either way - you'll soon find out. If you upload a pic file in ascii (instead of binary) it often looks really distorted, and if you've uploaded a script or file such as .htaccess in binary (instead of ascii) it probably won't work 8O
When you change modes it says something about it in the messages part.

Cheers

Kathy

Just a note: Uploading ASCII files (like .htaccess) in binary mode does no harm to the file, but line feeds may not be converted from the style used at the source to the style used at the destination machine (e.g. DOS / Windows to Unix style). And some UNIX programs have problems using DOS / Windows style configuration files.

Hiya eyebex - I knew it didn't work sometimes (htaccess in wrong upload mode), but I never knew why.. thanks And, I do upload from windows to linux!

Kathy