port

what is the port i forward on my router for the smart ftp program, 21 does not make it work, it must use its own port, i need to know this or i cant use it, thanks

anyone?

i think there is a misunderstanding here. it shouldn't be necessary to forward any port if you as the client behind a router want to access an ftp server outside. "port forwarding" is meant for connections which are established from "outside" to "inside" (e.g. if you were running a server behind that router and someone wants to log in). but in your case it's you who starts the connection.
anyways, you may need to open some ports in your firewall that is likely to be included into your router. go to "Tools" -> "Settings..." -> "Connection", activate "Limit Local Port Range" and open the same port range in your firewall.
alternatively, also try to connect via passive instead of active mode.

no i have talked to the router support people etc (i have talked to at least 8 ), this program NEEDS a port opened on the router for it to work, however there is no info on this anywhere on your site, does anyone know what port it uses?

i didn't say smartftp does not require you to open ports. i just said you shouldn't have to do port forwarding (at least if you connect in passive mode). if you read

http://www.freefire.org/articles/ftpexample.php3

you'll notice that the "local port will be picked randomly". that's why no one can tell you for sure which port you'll have to allow for outgoing connections. you can limit this random port to fall into a certain range, as i've already written in my first post. then just open the port range in your firewall.

nope unfortunalty this still doesnt work, i limit it to 1 port but i still cant connect

anyone?