Can't connect to server!!

I've been trying to get ANY FTP program to work for the past few days. The firewall I have is Zone Alarm, I already tried uninstalling it and running SmartFTP. I've also tried disabling the Internet Connection Firewall found under Network Connections in the Control Panel for XP. I've been getting this everytime I try to login:

Resolving host name ftp.sharkbot.ho8.com...
Connecting to (ftp.sharkbot.ho8.com) -> IP: 69.57.134.80 PORT: 21
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

Somtimes I get something like this:

Resolving host name ftp.sharkbot.ho8.com...
Connecting to (ftp.sharkbot.ho8.com).
Connected to (ftp.sharkbot.ho8.com) -> IP: (i left it out) PORT: 21.
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.

that's as far as it gets, it times out and says the server wouldn't connect something like that. I've been looking through this forum and others for the other FTP's I tried (Cute, Commander, CoffeeCup) non have worked and nothing has worked. If anyone can help PLEASE HELP ME!

I've also had my buddy try logining on from his home comp, and it worked for him. He is running the same ZA firewall too. I dunno.

Ussing 2 firewalls on same computers ussualy is a very bad idea, try with only one enabled.

thanx for the tip, i tried turning off the Internet Connection Firewall in my Local Area connection advanced setting, while leaving the Zone Alarm on. no luck. I reversed it, turning the ZA off, and leaving the Internet Connection one on, no luck, and I've tried it with both off. I must be missing something. I once had McAfee but I uninstalled that a while ago. In my Zone Alarm menu It has SmartFTP on full access. I just keep getting the message that it's being refused by the target machine. I'm hosting with HostUltra.com. And I already know that my login name and password work cuz my friend can log in with it on his comp that has ZA on it. He's stumped too.

Try looking at services if there is any remaining things from McAfee, sometimes the uninstaller don't works ok and leaves things that causes these troubles. Also you can search for unused McAfee dlls.

i am having same logon problems ..

please advise me what to do...

was working great ...now get no response to connect ?

please help..

thanks justin

ps, i do have firewall ..i think my brower one is turned off.