False Statements?

I'm not here to criticize or argue, mb. I like SmartFTP. I like the design, the layout, the funtionality. I think it's a great program, from my limited experience with it. There was nothing false about my statement. I cannot get SmartFTP to connect, while another FTP client *WILL* connect under the same circumstances. Firewall or no firewall, doesn't seem to make a dif.

Last night, I downloaded and installed (other FTP client) and it worked without a hitch. I can also access my FTP account via the command line (XP), but I can't get SmartFTP to connect. That's fact, not false. I'm not a novice user. I built this computer and configured every configurable option myself, so I know this system inside out.

In my previous topic, I described as well as possible the conditions that were present in my attempts to get SmartFTP to work, going so far as to capture packets and post the data inside them. Instead of offering helpful suggestions, you tell me I'm making false statements and close the thread.

Do you want to help, or do you want to argue?

dan622 (at) earthlink dot net, if you want to take of the board.

I thought the thread closing was pretty cold, but let's see if we can't still get you connected. I use SmartFTP with ZoneAlarm (3.7.202) without a problem. One thing you may want to try is turning off passive mode when connecting to your site. Some hosts are now disabling passive mode ftp connections because of security issues. At least one host I deal with does that.

HTH,
Sean

We had several users with the same problem in the past (search the forum). All of them fixed the problem with uninstalling/updating the Zonealarm software.

I'm sensitive to users insisting that it's a problem with SmartFTP when we're sure the problem is with the environment. And if they don't follow our instructions for a possible solution don't await any further support for a product you haven't paid a penny for.

Allowing you to use the software for free doesn't mean you deserve free support, free everything, etc as well.

I hope you understand this situation.