Username and Password are shown in file location

The SmartFTP developers seem to think this isn't a security issue. As for me, I think it's important.

When you drag a file from your ftp connection file listing window into a text editor, it outputs the location of the file, including the username and password. For example...

ftp://username:password@ftp.sitename.com/filename.exe

I have my software set to keep all my connections alive using SmartFTP's Keep Alive feature. Somebody could come up to my computer while I'm away and obtain my usernames and passwords. Anybody could open up SmartFTP on my computer and get the login info for any of my Favorites items. I realize they could login anyways and access the files, but the problem is I don't want people knowing my passwords because I use them for different things that I don't want people accessing.

If no one else has a problem with this then I'll keep quiet.

you cant protect a system if some untrusted person has access to it. If you have a shared System:
1. dont save passwords.
2. maybe lock the screen?

darix

I've never seen any piece of software or website (except for user admin utilities) that allow you to view your password in its raw form. They either allow you to change it or allow you to have it e-mail to your registered address, but they don't allow you to see it in their system. That's because it can be a security problem. Even I feel uncomfortable seing some of my password on my screen since I've seen them as ******* since '96. Why does SmartFTP even show passwords as wildcards if they allow you to view it by dragging the file somewhere? Because of security...