Explorer crashing out : Invalid page fault

I have been driven to despair since I upgraded last weekend, to the latest version 1.0.978.3

Error : Invalid page fault, along with the infamous 'stack dump' problem.

The main problem is that EVERY window/program crashes out, and my pc is essentially empty of programs. This happens every time i use smartftp now

I am using win98se, explorer latest version with all the zillion patches etc.

I have installed many times over, cleaned the registry, tried the developer build etc.. none of which helps.

Q. Is there any possibility that I could get hold of an older version of the program ?
I never had a single problem with the previous build, of what is one of the best ftp' programs i've ever seen.

As it is, I just want to get hold of the older version, but I cant find it anywhere online I'm sure many people would be happy to regress to older -but a workable version of it, despite the memory holes or whatever they are.

So would it not be possible to provide a few version of the program online that people can choose from? I think 958 was the one that worked perfectly for me, happy days they were.

An older build of SmartFTP can always be found in the download section.

https://www.smartftp.com/Products/SmartFTP/rel0976.cab

Extract the cab file with a program like Winrar/Winzip, and overwrite all file(s) when prompted.

By the way, Windows 98/Me are just very unstable operating systems, and is currently being phazed out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecy ... sumer.mspx

I would try upgrading your system to the Windows XP Home or Pro operating system. It's an OS with rock solid stability.

Oh great, i didnt realise you did the older version, will try that now.

As I say, I never had a single problem with the earlier version - and actually my windows 98 was unusually stable compared to my friends (might just be my weird perception though)

:Re windows 98.

Yeah, i am probably somewhat crazy for sticking with it, although there is one game 'ST Armada' which I need to run on 98' -due to game issues with XP.

You're right, I must upgrade. Maybe i shall do that before the decade is out :twisted:

UPDATE...

I tried the 976 files, they were all overwritten correctly, but i still get the same error.
It is possible I can get hold of an even earlier version, say 968 maybe ?