NFTS?

We are a school and use SmartFTP for various academic purposes. In our labs we have SmartFTP installed for student use. We have our NTFS permisions on the root of the C: drive so that students have virtually no access other than read. It seems with these NTFS permisions in place we are unable to download anything using SmartFTP. Once we lift the NTFS permisions from the root of the drive users can download again. We have checked into this to ensure that people are downloading to place they have proper NTFS permisions (in this case the users home drive). So with that said it's not the NTFS permision of the destination but possibly of some temporary space, or log file that needs to be written to the root of the C: drive. Is this true? If so is it possible to change that to something that makes a little more sense like C:Documents & Settings%username%Local SettingsTemp or something along those lines. I.E. A place that the user is sure to have write access?

Hmm I don't know of any code sequence that requires write permissions to C:

I've quickly removed the write permissions of "Everyone" on my C: folder and the downloads with SmartFTP are working fine.

You may want to verify this with this file monitor :
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

It shows all file modifications for a specific process during its execution.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
-Mat